What can I do if someone is trying to force me to sell my house?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if someone is trying to force me to sell my house?

An investor who also is an attorney has acquired 50% interest in my property

where I’ve resided with my children for 14 years. His initial request was for

me to either pay him rent or accept $7,000 to buy me out. Recently, he has threatened that if I don’t cooperate by the end of this month, he will force a partition and I will be forced to vacate my home. I don’t want to lose my home. What are my legal rights? How can I keep my home?

Asked on July 25, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If he is an owner of the property as you indicate, then he has the right to bring a legal action for partition, to get a court order requiring or compelling the property be sold and the proceeds (after paying costs of sale and paying off any mortgage) be split between the owners. The law gives EVERY owner the right to force a sale of the property if he and the other owner(s) can't agree as to what to do with it, so he hzz the ability and legal right to do this. All you can do is either come to some voluntary agreement with him, or let him bring the partition action and then see how much money the property sells for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption