What can I do if my husband divorces me ?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my husband divorces me ?

I have been married for 2 years and I noticed
we are having a lot of issues , my husband
kerosine threatens me that he will divorce me ,
we have no prenup , we just bought a house
plus my husband has other properties. I dont
own anything , i do not make that much
compared to my husband as he is more
financial stable so if he divorces me then what
can I do since I am not financially stable to
afford a place.

Asked on November 26, 2017 under Family Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In the divorce case, you will be entitled to a share of your joint or marital assets (property or assets acquired during marriage; money in a joint bank account; etc.). You will also most likely be entitled to spousal support (alimony), at least for some period of time (e.g. a few years), if he has been earning much more than you and providing the bulk of the support for the family or its lifestyle. So you will get money and financial support in the divorce. You will do better if you have an attorney representing you, than if you try to negotiate or try the case in court yourself; the best thing you can for yourself is to hire an experienced family or matrimonial/divorce law attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption