What can I do if my ex keeps me from seeing and talking to my daughter on my custody weekend?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my ex keeps me from seeing and talking to my daughter on my custody weekend?

There is no writen contrat, just a verbal one.

Asked on September 15, 2012 under Family Law, Minnesota


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Verbal agreements are extremely difficult to enforce.  Informal custody agreements are not as diffult, but still tend to be challenging because they may not be as clear as a court order.  If you want guaranteed time with your daughter and time to talk to your daughter, then your best option is to file a custody (if you have not already) and request standardized periods of visitation or routine times for phone calls.  If you already have an order in place, you may need to request a modification of that order so that you have something in writing that says you get to see and talk to your daughter on weekends.  It will also give you a way of enforcing those rights through certain contempt actions. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption