What can I do if my background is showing charges on me when employers run my background check but I have never been arrested?

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my background is showing charges on me when employers run my background check but I have never been arrested?

These charges are not mine; I am not this person.

Asked on February 15, 2013 under Criminal Law, Arizona


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Hello.  This may or may not be your situation, but be aware that it definitely occurs with regularity that arrested persons will provide a false name to law enforcement.  I advise that you immediately confer privately with an attorney to address the details of your situation and correct all errors:  Often negative 'collateral consequences' need to be addressed.  Identity theft may or may not be an issue (the issue may be one of unfortunate coincidence).  If negative repercussions to you with regard to your employment have occurred, the attorney may assist you effectively to right the wrong and harm done to you.  Also, I do recommend you make several telephone calls to attorneys in selecting the attorney you want to help you, because it is very important that you feel a sense of trust with the attorney.  All the best.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption