What can I do if lienholder on a vehicle refuses to allow us to re-register the vehicle until it is paid in full although we are current on payments?

UPDATED: May 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if lienholder on a vehicle refuses to allow us to re-register the vehicle until it is paid in full although we are current on payments?

My husband and I are 2 months away from paying off car loan with a private lienholder. We have been behind in the past however we are now current. He says that he will just give us the title if we pay up front the next 2 car payments and a $50 court filing fee that he claims he spent when he filed a motion in which we never went to court for. I offered to pay 1/2 the fee and 1 month of car payments but he is not willing to work with us?

Asked on May 29, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If title to the vehicle you are writing about is not in your name due to the lien on the item per an agreement you have with the lender, then the way to solve your problem is to carefully read your agreement with the lender to see what can be done regarding your situation. The reason is that the written agreement that you have with the lender controls the obligations owed to you by the lender and vice versa.

If the written agreement does not allow you to register the car in your name until the loan is paid off in full, it seems that you need to pay it off first to get the car registered in your name. This may require the $50.00 court filing fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption