What can I do if I paid a mechanic but he never fixed my car?

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I paid a mechanic but he never fixed my car?

I paid a deposit amount of $360 for the mechanic to purchase my transmission from the junk yard. He told me it will cost $350 but after I called the junk yard myself they told me the price is between $150 and $170. This has been almost 2 months ago and my car is not fixed. The work he performed was that he took everything apart. I’ve tried calling and testing and he is not responding. He also has my car key. What legal action can I take?

Asked on June 29, 2012 under Business Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You could sue him. You could sue him to recover the car (i.e. for a court order, or injunction, directing him to turn it over) and also for monetary compensation (e.g. the difference in price for the transmission; the cost of any rental car you've had to rent while your car has been sitting in the shop, not repaired).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption