What can I do if I have a lease under both mine and my husband’s names but we are now separating?

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I have a lease under both mine and my husband’s names but we are now separating?

I have 2 minor children and my funds aren’t sufficient to afford the rent on my own. I’ve notified my situation to the landlord and told her I will have to move out. Although she has 2 deposits she still said I will be responsible for every month she is not able to rent the place and will send me to court.

Asked on October 11, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, while I sympathize with your situation the law does not. A contract is a contract; and a lease is a contract. If you move out you will still liable for the rent. The fact is that when a lease is signed all tenants become legally responsible for it. This is called "joint and several liability". Accordingly, if one tenant doesn't pay their share of the rent than the other tenant is liable for it.

Note: You are entitled to reimbursement from your husband for any money that you are out-of-pocket as a result of his non-payment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption