What can I do if I equally signed for a car that was an ex boyfriend’s but they’re going after me for money after it has been repo’d and sold?

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I equally signed for a car that was an ex boyfriend’s but they’re going after me for money after it has been repo’d and sold?

I equally signed for a car for my boyfriend 7 years ago. We broke up over 5 years ago. He was the insured driver of the car. He stopped making payments when he lost his job, and the car got repossessed. The car was sold, but the deficiency is $2,581. I just received a call saying that if I don’t either pay $2,000 today or arrange payments equal to that amount by Friday, they will bring me to court and sue me. They said because I am reachable (his phone was shut off) and I have a job, they are going after me. Is there anything I can do? Or if I make the payments can I legally get it back?

Asked on August 8, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Since the car has been sold at auction for a deficiency then you are equally obligsted for any deficiency judgment that seemingly will or has resulted which is $2,581 since you co-signed on the vehicle's loan. In essence, you are resopnsible for the full amount. Even if you make the payments on it, you cannot get the vehicle back under the law.

The car is gone to a new owner.

I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law to assist you in your matter and give you the proper advice as to how you should proceed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption