What can I do if I am being slandered?

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I am being slandered?

I am going through a divorce and I have recently found out that my soon to be ex-wife is telling people that I raped and hit her. No police reports were filed about this event. I am astounded that she would say these things though. My only thought would be that she would try to use this against me in court. But, there is no proof. How can I get her to legally stop this? I don’t want this to get nasty because we have 2 small children, but this effects my livelihood as well as my name.

Asked on July 12, 2010 under Personal Injury, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You may have to sue her for defamation. Defamation is the public making of false statements of fact that put someone in a negative light and harm his or her reputation. A claim that you committed rape and assault would, if untrue, certainly seem to meet those requirements. While your desire to not let things "get nasty" is laudible, if your soon-to-be ex-wife is making these claims, it has already gotten nasty. (And just because she's not filed a police report yet does not mean she may not later.) You should consult with an attorney immediately about how to protect your reputation, livelihood, rights to see your children (this kind of allegation can affect custody), etc. You may be able to get a legal order forcing her to desist as well as possibly sue for monetary damages. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption