What can I do if an anonymous tip turned not so anonymous?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if an anonymous tip turned not so anonymous?

I recently came into some information that my former co-worker robbed the store we both used to work for. I contacted my former manager and told him what I knew, as an anonymous tip. My former manager had to contact the new manager of the store, who proceeded to tell everyone in the store, employees, customers, everyone. He could not hold his excitement apparently. Now, regular employees employees not in a management position and people who are not even employed there anymore know. I am genuinely scared it will get back to the guy who robbed the store that I am the one who told, and want to know if any legal action can be taken against the manager or company.

Asked on August 17, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

IF the manager had signed a written confidentiality agreement of some kind, to not share this information and/or your identity, then if he breaches it and you suffer some injury or loss, you could sue him for breach of contract. Otherwise, there is nothing you can do--in the absence of a confidentiality agreement, such a tip is not confidential.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption