What can I do if my company has me working in an unsafe environment?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my company has me working in an unsafe environment?

Everyday I unload trucks by hand. It is hard enough to do that, let alone with less than the average amount of people that should be working. They make it harder on us by leaving boxes

and carts in our way giving us little space to work with. My co-workers and I have requested back breaces but we have yet to receive them. They will send us outside working in the parking lot at night without a safety vest or a rain coat when its raining. They also put someone in a compactor to move the trash around so it can fit. There should never be someone in a

compactor, especially with trash already in it. Is there anything that I can do about this?

Asked on August 19, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You need to contact OSHA.  The have a hotline and online reporting system for work place safety conditions.  You also need to contact the state agency branch of TDI, Texas Workers Compensation Commission.  They also address workplace safety issues.
You can also contact the local workforce commission.  They are usually involved in wage disputes, but the can put you in touch with other potential local resources to assist.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption