What can I do if a company is interferring with a criminal investigation?

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if a company is interferring with a criminal investigation?

I filed criminal charges against a co-worker for sexual abuse. The company we both worked for has hindered the entire investigation and the company’s attorney stated false information to the detective. Is there anything that can be done? Is this unethical on the part of the attorney? Is it illegal for the company to hinder and prevent further investigation in a criminal investigation that they are not named in or party to?

Asked on June 6, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is unethical and possibly illegal to interfere with a criminal investigation. However, you should not depend on individuals or entities acting ethically to bolster your case. You really need an attorney to help you with the civil component, especially since the burden is less. This will allow him or her to interview and depose witnesses, collect documents you may not have nd review documents you do have.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption