What canI do if a breach of contract has occurred?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI do if a breach of contract has occurred?

A have a signed contract with a sign business to make me a sign for my business. I gave him money to start my sign but haven’t heard from him. It’s been a month and haven’t heard from him since I gave him the money. I’ve left messages and have called from different phones but nothing. What should I do?

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can sue him. Contracts are enforceable in court; if a party to a contract does not honor its obligations, the other party may sue for one or more of the following: the return of money paid; other direct economic losses or damages caused by the non-performance; for a court order directing that breaching party "cure" its breach and perform the contract (though this is rare except in real estate cases). For smaller amounts you could sue in small claims court, represent yourself, and avoid paying lawyer fees. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption