What can I do ? battery employment

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do ? battery employment

2011 I was 16 working at a telemarking service in
Hobart, Indiana. I got attacked by 2 older females for
no reason outside of the establishment. Which there
was supposed to be security outside at the end of
our shift. Well after the altercation my family called
the police and pressed on the two older women. Me
and my grandmother met with the company Human
Resources and they offered me my job back. I went
back for about three months, but the teasing from
other employees became too much. I am now 24 I
still see the women who attacked me, and also other
employees from the company still talk about it. What
legal actions can I take now? I am still traumatized
from the situation I still run into these girls and feel
that the company has not did enough.

Asked on February 16, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can't take any action against the company.
1) The company is not the police and is not your legal guardian: it had no legal obligaion whatsoever to protect you from a criminal attack by other employees or teasing/harassment after the fact due to the attack. An employer employees you, nothing more; it has no other obligations to you.
2) The statute of limitations, or time within which a legal action must filed, for personal injury or growing out of physical assault is only 2 years in your state, so you are years past the statutory period. Once the statutory period has expired, you cannot bring legal action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption