Is there anything I can do to have my background covered up so that I may be able to attend nursing school?

UPDATED: Mar 14, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 14, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anything I can do to have my background covered up so that I may be able to attend nursing school?

I am 21 years old. I got a DUI last year and was convicted of grand theft and possession of stolen property a few months later. I am taking the necessary steps to drop my felony charges to misdemeanors (60 days community service) and I am attending DUI classes. I just got an interview for CSULB’s nursing program. It’s my dream to go to this school’s nursing program but I fear I won’t be accepted due to my criminal background. The director of the program said that I can’t do anything but wait and see if I pass the background check; if I don’t then I will be denied admittance.

Asked on March 14, 2013 under Criminal Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

As a basic rule, you're entitled to expunge your criminal records in California if you were convicted of a misdemeanor or felony offense, and you successfully completed probation, and are not currently charged with a criminal offense, on probation for a criminal offense or serving a sentence for a criminal offense.

Once you have completed everything you can apply - even probation.  It does not erase your record.  The conviction will still be there as will the expungement.   If you have successfully had it expunged then it is not supposed to be held against you.  You can request early termination of probation to apply for expungement.   You may want to speak with an attorney about this and possibly think about deferring the school acceptance.   Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption