What canI do about someone that is avoiding being served a protective order?

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI do about someone that is avoiding being served a protective order?

My girlfriend’s ex has been harassing us for months. He stalks us, verbally abuses us, vandalizes our vehicle, and threatens the lives of us and our family. We got a protective order but he left a message saying that he was never going to accept it so he could do whatever he wanted to us. We called the cops and they said there was nothing they could do until he was served, but hes purposely avoiding that. I’m running out of ideas.

Asked on September 11, 2011 under Criminal Law, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It really depends on the jurisdiction and the laws within your state.  A protective order is not a search warrant so those serving the order can not force them selves in to the residence of the person in order to serve him.  In some jurisdictions, however, and depending on what court issues the protective order (such as Family Court in New York(, if you can prove that you can not locate to serve or that the person is avoiding service, the court may issue warrant for the person.  Then the rules of the game will change drastically.  So check with an attorney in your area or with the court on your options.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption