What can I do about nepotism in the workplace?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about nepotism in the workplace?

My supervisor is showing a big difference between her sister and I. I’ve talked to her (my supervisor) and I’ve talked to the adminstrator about the situation and nothing else has been said or done about it. What can I do?

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Actually, there really may not be much that you can do. That is unless company policy prohibits nepotism or the terms of an employment contract/union agreement are being violated. Additionally, your treatment must not constitute a form of actionable discrimination. By that I mean, are you being treated differently based on your membership in a "protected class"? In other words, is your unfavorable treatment beause  of you race, religion, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, etc? If not, then while unfair that this other person is getting preferential treatment, unfortunately no laws are being broken.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption