what can I do about being fired for wrongful termination

UPDATED: Nov 7, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 7, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what can I do about being fired for wrongful termination

My company fired me for false sexual harassment allegations and did not pay me

Asked on November 7, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

1) If you were non-exempt from overtime (hourly, or nonexempt salaried), they *must* pay you overtime. If they did not, you could file a complaint with the department of labor and/or sue (such as in small claims court, acting as your own attorney  or "pro se") for the money.
2) If you did not have a written employment contract limiting how or why you could be terminated, you were an "employee at will" and could be fired at any time, for any reason, even unfair or inaccurate ones (like false sexual harassment allegations), and your employer is not required to hear or consider your side of the story. Employees at will have no rights to keep their jobs; the emplyer can terminate them whenever and whyever it wants.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption