What can I do about an inconsiderate, upstairs noisy neighbor?

UPDATED: Mar 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 25, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about an inconsiderate, upstairs noisy neighbor?

I live in a multi-unit condo on the lower floor. The person upstairs operates the wash machine and dryer approximately 6 hours a day, 7 days a week. She also operates a rowing machine and a full-body vibrating machine over my living room between 9-10 p.m. at night. The wasted water and gas is paid for by all HOA members and all 16 units are on 1 meter. The HOA has tried putting some sound attenuation pads in the upper unit but it has not helped much. There is nothing in the CC&’Rs. What can I do to put an end to all the constant daily noise?

Asked on March 25, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and resolve the noise issue with your neighbor is to have a face to face meeting with him or her regarding the need to try and lower the noise. If that does not resolve the situation, then you should consider consulting with an attorney about what legal way you can try and get the noise reduced such as an injunction sought against her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption