What can I do about an employer who does not pay his employees on time and frequently bounces checks?

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about an employer who does not pay his employees on time and frequently bounces checks?

I currently work in a very small office and have been having trouble with my employer in regards to pay. He doesn’t ever pay us on time and when he does give us checks he asks me to wait until a certain day to cash the checks. Nearly all my checks from him have bounced and I have waited up to 3 weeks to receive my pay for a certain pay period. I believe he is trying to get around arizona law by having is payroll done in the state and also will not provide documentation of exact dates in which we are to be paid. What can I do to get this man to stop cheating girls out of money?

Asked on August 7, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It sounds like the employer is having a cash flow problem.  If he is bouncing checks, that is illegal (check fraud) and you can report him to the police, but that would likely make things worse.   When a company is not paying you, about the only thing you can do is quit and sue them to collect what you are owed.  I am curious about your concern about having payroll done locally.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption