What can I do about a shoplifting citation for retail theft?

UPDATED: Oct 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about a shoplifting citation for retail theft?

I was only issued a citation, no arrest was made. The shoes were $70. It was a dumb impulse decision and is not part of my personality at all. 100% clean record prior besides parking tickets. Would I be able to speak with the judge during my court appearance and plea to somehow dismiss my citation by doing community service along with paying the fine and possibly getting it reduced? And of course writing an apology letter to the store manager?

Asked on October 22, 2012 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attoreny about the citation that you received as a form of damage control. You do not want to end up with a criminal conviction for the improper thing that you did. Possibly the court may put you on "court probation" where you would be fined, ordered to do community service work, attend classes and stay out of trouble for a stated period of time.

If you comply then the charge may be dismissed with no conviction on your record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption