What can I do about a neighbor running their sump pump drainage on to my property

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about a neighbor running their sump pump drainage on to my property

Their property is higher than mine and they run their sump drain
hose down hill to my property

Asked on April 25, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can file a lawsuit for nuisance which is an unreasonable interference with your use and enjoyment of your property.
The problem however is that damages (monetary compensation) would be inadequate because of multiplicity of suits and land is unique.
Therefore, since damages are inadequate, you should obtain an injunction to stop the flooding of your property by your neighbor.  First, you would get a temporary restraining order which would be in effect until a preliminary hearing, at which time the court would determine whether to issue a preliminary injunction until trial when the court will determine whether to issue a permanent injunction.
The court balances the hardships and burdens to the parties in determining whether or not to grant an injunction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption