What can I do about a moving company that has taken payment and not delivered?

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about a moving company that has taken payment and not delivered?

I have recently moved out of state. The moving company sent a contractor with my belongings and he arrived 2 days ago, took payment of remaining balance that I was told was due, unloaded some items, realized he needed help and left. I have not seen him since. Local police say no crime has been committed. I need help on what to do moving forward.

Asked on February 17, 2012 under General Practice, Oklahoma


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If he delivered everything, then this is a contract issue and not a criminal law matter. If he only unloaded some items, you will need to file a complaint with your local city or county prosecutor or state attorney general for unfair and deceptive activity and indicate that there has been a breach of contract. If you have a contact at the moving company, immediately contact, explain what occurred, follow it up with a certified letter to the company and explain that you expect all items to be delivered properly within 24 hours and that you expect your service now to be free or severly discounted or you will sue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption