What can I do about a company that has bullied me into paying for unsolicited services?

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about a company that has bullied me into paying for unsolicited services?

I started receiving unsolicited magazines a few months ago and it wasn’t until after the company that sent the magazines “30 day” policy had expired did they contact me. Since I didn’t order them I had no idea about the “30 day” policy. I was bullied into giving them my routing number. If I were to try and sue or deal with their collections do I have a leg to stand on?

Asked on June 13, 2011 under General Practice, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, the law does not recognized being "bullied" as a cause of action. If they committed fraud against you--for example, the company lied or misrepresented in order to get you to sign up--that might give you grounds to rescind (cancel) the deal and get your money back. Or if they stole you identify or bank information and used it without your consent, that would be a crime as well as grounds to cancel without penalty. On the other hand, if they just pressured you, called repeatedly, engaged in a "hard sell," etc., then there is no legal recourse; they did nothing legal wrong, and you could have simply said no, had you so chosen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption