What can I do about a bad faith insurance carrier

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about a bad faith insurance carrier

Florida Blue continually gives me false excuses and very poor service that results in me not being able to receive my medical treatment. Is there anything that can be done? They have not been willing to answer one question honestly but most go unanswered. I even tried their escalation department with no success.

Asked on March 28, 2016 under Insurance Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can sue them for breach of contract: an insurance policy, including a health/medical insurance policy, is a contract, and the insurer is therefore legally obligated to provide the coverage specified in the policy. They are also required to act in "good faith," to you, which obligation may be violated by not answering questions--therefore, in addition to suing for breach of contract, you could also sue for breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing. Depending on how much is at stake, suing "pro se," or as your own attorney, to save on legal fees, may be a good option.
Another option is to contact your state agency which oversees insurers and file a complaint, to see if the agency can help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption