What can I do regarding a car repair and an extended warranty?

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do regarding a car repair and an extended warranty?

I purchased a used car and at the time of purchase I also purchased a extended warranty. The engine went and was towed to my mechanic. This was 7 months ago. To this day the car is still not repaired. The mechanic tells me one thing and the insurance company tells me something completely different. I have made numerous calls to both the insurance company and the mechanic and not getting no where.

Asked on September 16, 2011 under General Practice, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You were quite smart to purchase the extended warranty on the used car as used car laws are really quite varied from state to state where protection goes for the consumer.  The extended warranty is a contract and you can sue based upon a breach of the terms.  Now, from whom did you purchase the extended warranty?  I am assuming NOT the mechanic; he is just the middle man here.  When you say "insurance company" do you mean the company from whom you did purchase the warranty?  If they are an insurance company in fact then you need to report them to the state Department of Insurance and the state Attorney General's office.  You can also seek legal consultation based upon the contract as well as some areas of the law that may apply, such as the Pennsylvania Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Law. This Law provides that the vehicle which you purchased should operate as the Dealer suggested it would and also provides for the recovery of Attorney fees.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption