What can I do regarding an inheritcance that I never received?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do regarding an inheritcance that I never received?

My mom died when I was 9 and both my and I sister got money. Well, I was supposed to I but I never received it. I was in the CA Youth Authority when I turned 18. I am 39 now so it was 30 years ago. My dad owns his own business and is very wealthy; I am broke with 3 kids and striggling. Is there anything I can do about it now?

Asked on September 9, 2018 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for the situation.  If you were left money as a minor then it is likely that it was placed in a Trust for your benefit and that there was a Trustee in charge.  The place to start is with your Mom's Will or the Administration of her Estate.  You can try and go look up the proceeding in the Probate Court.  They have records from way back.  It would be in the county in which she resided at the time of her death.  That will let you see where the money went.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption