What can I do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do?

I was injured at work by an individual I worked with and was let go the same day. I did not realize I was injured until a few days after I was let go. What can I do and how can I get in to see a doctor since I now no longer have health insurance?

Asked on March 21, 2018 under Personal Injury, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

First, you would have the opportunity to continue your health insurance under COBRA so long as your employer had at least 20 employees, though you will have to pay both your (the employee) and the employer's share of the premium (i.e. while you  are allowed to continue health insurance, you have to pay for all it). Here is a link to some U.S. government information about COBRA, including what you can do if you were eligible for (at least 20 employees) and wanted coverage continuation but were not offered it: https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/health-plans/cobra
However, if you are not eligible for or do not elect health insurance continuation, you will have to pay for the doctor out of pocket: we are often so used to using health insurance that we forget that we can pay ourselves. You may be able to sue the person who injured you, if they did so either intentionally or negligently (unreasonably carelessly), to recover medical costs or compensation for your injuries; you may be able to sue the employer instead or in addition, if you can show that the employer was at fault in some way (e.g. unsafe workng conditions). However, lawsuits take time, *and* you need to know what the medical costs are before you can try to recover them (sue for them) from someone; hence, even if you can sue the other employee or your employer, you will have to initially pay for your medical care yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption