what can I do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what can I do?

I have been currently employed for one month and I feel I have been taken advantage from the company. For one thing, I was not paid for 3 days of work. Their answer was that pay period has ended and therefore the system is locked, so I will get my check on next pay period. Also, I was told that I will be full-time and get benefits. I have been working full-time and I’m not getting benefits. Finally, for some reason I’m not allowed direct deposit until a certain time. I have to travel 1 hour to get my check and 2 hours back home. In total I leave home at 1:00 pm and get home at 6:00 pm. I have to take my kids with me.

Asked on November 17, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Being taken advantage of by your employer is legal in our country, under the dominant rule of "employment at will." Nothing you write indicates a viable legal claim or cause of action:
1) If you are being paid on the next period, you can't do anything about  it; by the time you could take legal action, you would long since have received the money, making the action moot and leading to its dismissal.
2) Employers may change compenation at will unless you have a written contract for a set period of time (e.g. a one-year contract) locking it in, so your employer could decide your position does not get benefits, even if you were previously told it did.
3) There is no requirement to provide direct deposit; or if the do, the could have it only "kick in" later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption