What can i do

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can i do

I work 1099 piece work installing residential solar I work for a few different contractors and im in the process of starting my own business. One of the companies I work for we have a verbal agreement on a set pay for jobs every Friday and this past Friday he withheld payment for one of my completed jobs because some of my previous jobs need repairs and he said he will not pay until those jobs are repaired.

Asked on December 21, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

He has no right to withhold pay for job A because of alleged problems with jobs B and C, etc., unless there was an agreement between you specifically allowing him to do this (it does not sound like there was). If he does withhold pay improperly, you can sue him for the money (such as in small claims court)...and similarly, if he thinks you owe him money, due to careless or shoddy, etc.  work which forced him to incur costs to correct it or offer credits to customers or lose business, then his recourse would be to sue you for that money and prove in court his entitlement to it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption