What can i be charged with for a first charge class a mistremeaner?Can I go to jail for a first offence?

UPDATED: May 17, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can i be charged with for a first charge class a mistremeaner?Can I go to jail for a first offence?

domestic battery

Asked on May 17, 2009 under Criminal Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

For a first offense domestic battery you can be fined up to $5,000 and sentenced up to 1 year in jail.  

Under the statute "first offense" means no convictions even for unrelated offenses.  If you have other convictions for anything, whether or not domestic battery, the charge is increased. 

Also, if a child under the age of 16 was present than that would make it a Class D felony which is punishable by a fine up to $10,000 and jail time of 6 months to 3 years.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption