What can I ask for when requesting a divorce

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I ask for when requesting a divorce

I have suspicions of my husband cheating. I don’t work and am going to school. I
used to work and pay bills about 2 years ago. I want a divorce, but am concerned
about being put out of our house. We both have children from our previous
marriages, but his child is several months from being 18. Since we’ve been
married he’s been secluded and not involved. It’s been worst since he received
his citizenship from Zimbabwe.

Asked on April 24, 2018 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Whenever you file for divorce, you can ask the court for temporary orders.  These orders could address the use of your home, the payment of child support, the payment of certain bills, and the need for temporary spousal support.  These types of financial options will help you stay on your feet for a short while.   When you are ready to finalize your divorce, a judge can enter similiar orders for payments or funds, however, it's just a little more difficult to get the spousal support long term unless you show a specialized reason under the family code. (Like domestic violence)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption