What can done if I was fired but my ex-employer is still using my picture to promote its business?

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can done if I was fired but my ex-employer is still using my picture to promote its business?

I was fired from a job of after 25 years of service. However, that’s all water under the bridge but on their website they have a logo picture of me and 2 other guys advertising their business.

Asked on March 5, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your former employer can't use your picture, at least not without first having your consent. That is unless you at some point during your empoyment signed an agreement giving permission that it could use your image. If you did not, you could ask the ompany to stop and, if they fail to, you could bring a legal action iagainst it and obtain "injunctive relief" which would require it to stop using your picture. However, as for any sort of compensation, you most likely will not be able to receive any. Assuming that you are not a celebrity or other public figure (i.e. you are a private person), you probably have a claim for the commercial use of your likeness. However, compensation for in such a case is based on damages. In other words, how much it made by using your image or how much you would normally be paid for the right to use it. And for a non-celebrity, there really may be little/no money at stake which makes recovery effectively impossible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption