What can do you regarding a car accident if the at fault driver was uninsured and lied about their contact info?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can do you regarding a car accident if the at fault driver was uninsured and lied about their contact info?

My parked car was hit on the driver’s side. The cops were called to make sure information was

exchanged peacefully. The other party gave me their information as I did with mine. I went

upon filing a claim and it was denied because the other party did not have a valid insurance

policy. So he lied about having insurance, he also gave me a phone number that was

disconnected. Can I sue him or what legal matter can I do in order to get my vehicle fixed?

Asked on October 8, 2016 under Accident Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you don't want to pursue an uninsured motorist claim through your auto insurance company, your only recourse is to sue the uninsured driver for negligence.  
After obtaining a court judgment against the uninsured driver, you can enforce the judgment with a wage garnishment.
Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the property damage (cost of repairs to your car).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption