What can been done about an unfair ruling in a divorce?

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can been done about an unfair ruling in a divorce?

I signed the papers to speed up the divorce process, later realized bills were purposely not included. I recently went back to court tried to bring them up and judge said he didn’t want to discuss it if it wasn’t in the divorce papers? Isn’t that what a judge is for?

Asked on September 19, 2011 under Family Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Well the Judge could have explained it to you in a much nicer way but he can not give you legal advice from the bench.  Wat he should have said was that the agreement that you signed is a legally binding contract and by signing it you basically agreed to the terms.  And the terms as written are what he has to go by.  He can not listen to oral testimony that contradicts the terms.,  It is called the parol evidence rule.  But what you can do is make a motion to set aside the agreement based upon some legal ground, like fraud or misrepresentation or mistake.  But I would consider speaking with an attorney in order for you to do that.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption