What can be legally done about a hospital administering a procedure to a child that a parent refused?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be legally done about a hospital administering a procedure to a child that a parent refused?

My daughter refused the HepB shot for her newborn. New Link Destination
ld the doctor the entire pregnancy it was not appropriate for her child. In the hospital she informed staff her child would not get the vaccine. Almost 7 years later, her pediatrician’s records show that she received it in the hospital. In the nursery after it was administered, they brought her the baby because she was

Asked on February 28, 2019 under Malpractice Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can file an ethical complaint with your state's medical licensing board: it is possible they will take action. However, that is the only thing your daughter can do--she cannot sue. The reason she can't sue is that a lawsuit (such as, for example, a malpractice lawsuit) is only to recover compenation for actual monetary or physical harm or injury; with no such harm, there are no grounds for a lawsuilt. And the shot did not harm your daughter or her child, so therefore there is no basis for compensation or a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption