What can be don’t about verbal abuse in the workplace?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be don’t about verbal abuse in the workplace?

My boyfriend’s boss keeps tell him that he is fat and needs to lose weight. Also, that he’s stupid and usless, all just for running a few minutes late. He has told the owner but nothing has been done. In fact, the owner is usually there when the comments are made.

Asked on September 27, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

In this situation, unless your boyfriend has a medical condition or disabiltiy that is covered under the ADA or like law, he has no legal protection here. While rude and insulting, his treatment is unfortunately not illegal. The fact is that most employment arrangements are what is known as "at will". This means that a company can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit. In order for a workplace to be considered a "hostile work enviornment", it must be one that prevents an employee from reasonably doing their job. Accordingly, by either words and/or actions, a co-worker must create an enviornment that is counterproductive to a worker performing their duties. However, these actions must constitute legally actionable discrimination not just unprofessional or rude behavior. In other words, action must be taken against an employee because they are a member of a "protected class" (i.e. based on their race, religion, disbility, national origin, age (over 40) or the like. Given the facts presented, it's not that clear that your boyfriend has a claim. At this point he may want to consult directly with a local employment law attorney or the state's department of labor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption