What can be done when my HOA does not enforce deed restrictions?

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done when my HOA does not enforce deed restrictions?

I have 2 neighbors who consistently park in their front yards and has trash like hoarders piled out front on the sides of their home. My HOA has refused to let me know what is being done about the situation after two years of complaining. I am unable to even list my home, and it is beautiful, according to realtors because of how bad it looks to even bring someone out.

Asked on August 19, 2011 Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Speak with a real estate attorney, one who can evaluate the deed restrictions in question as well as all HOA rules, agreements, etc. binding residents. It is *possible* that you may be able to either bring a legal action to force the HOA to take action, on the grounds they are violating a duty owed to you (which duty could be founded in the deed restrictions or other agreements) and/or bring a legal action directly against the homeowners to enforce the deed restrictions, as a third party beneficiary of the agreements binding them. It is also possible that you may be able to bring a common law nuisance action against these homeowners, or possibly there are local (i.e. municipal) ordinances about trash, garbage, etc. which they are violating. There might be recourse; the way to look into it is to start by having an attorney read all the documentation/agreements (the specific language and terms is key) and by looking into local ordinances. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption