What can be done when an ex doesn’t pay on a mortgage that they are deemed solely responsible for?

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done when an ex doesn’t pay on a mortgage that they are deemed solely responsible for?

Asked on June 24, 2012 under Family Law, Maine


Brad Micklin / The Micklin Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It depends on the terms of your agreement or court decision. But if she is responsible and is not fulfilling the responsibility, you can file what is called a “motion to enforce litigant rights.” This is a court process in which the court can order her to comply with the agreement or decision to bring the mortgage current or, within a specific limited amount of time, place the house for sale.

The court is also empowered to order any other reasonable relief as well as the payment of the legal fees you incur in seeking this enforcement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption