What can be done about the behavior of a skilled nursing facility?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done about the behavior of a skilled nursing facility?

My grandmother was admitted to a nursing facility for temporary rehab. We’ve had several issues as well as witnessed other resident mistreatment. My grandmother can’t walk unassisted. Her nurse call bell response time average is 30 minutes to well over an hour. Since there is no intercom connection to the call bell, the staff has no way to know if she needs help to the bathroom, has fallen or needs medical assistance. She is also on narcotic pain medicine, which is scheduled every 4 hours and not on an as needed basis. At times, her meds have been administered up to 3 hours late, after which she receives the next dose as close as an hour after the first, to get her back on

Asked on December 4, 2017 under Malpractice Law, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

In order to file a lawsuit for negligence against the skilled nursing facility, documentation of medical treatment for an injury would be necessary.
At this point, it would be advisable to contact your state's licensing board and file a complaint against the skilled nursing facility.  It would also be advisable to speak with an elder abuse attorney.  Your County Bar Association can refer you to an elder abuse attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption