What can a father do to get primary custody of his kids?

UPDATED: Mar 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can a father do to get primary custody of his kids?

I am a father and I have joint custody for my kids. I am all ways getting the girls and they are filthy, their diapers are dirty and they are always sick. I have a letter from of some of their mother’s ex-employees that witnessed her leave the kids in the car for 2 hours while she was at a meeting. She also told me this in front of my friend. I called DHS I don’t think they are doing anything.

Asked on March 4, 2012 under Family Law, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Even though you have joint custody of the children I am assuming that you are not the actual custodial parent and that you have a visitation schedule, correct?  You need to go back to court to request that they modify the custody order.  You need to speak with an attorney on the matter and bring with you any and all agrements or orders.  You will need witnesses and the standard will  be in the best interest of the children.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption