What legal action can I take if an angry manager threw something at me and bruised me?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What legal action can I take if an angry manager threw something at me and bruised me?

I was accused of something someone else did. I defended myself. My manager grew angry and yelling, tossed a cart into the one I was holding which pushed it into me. There were no major injuries but this is not okay and it hurt. My employer and union seem to be doing nothing about this incident upon it being brought to them. Can I seek counsel? What are my rights?

Asked on October 31, 2018 under Personal Injury, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your manager for assault and battery.
Assault is intentionally placing another person in reasonable apprehension of an immediate battery without  consent or legal privilege.
Battery is the physical contact; the harmful or offensive touching of another person without consent or legal privilege.
Assault and battery are both civil (lawsuit) and criminal.  The civil and criminal cases proceed independently.
You could file a lawsuit and as a separate case, pursue criminal charges.
In addition to damages (monetary compensation for your injury which will need documentation with medical treatment) in your lawsuit, you can also seek punitive damages which are a substantial amount to punish your manager's wrongful act.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption