What are the steps I need and how to answer a divorce petition?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the steps I need and how to answer a divorce petition?

Spouse filed for divorce. I need to provide answers to the petition. I do not know how I need to write this out.

Asked on October 15, 2019 under Family Law, Louisiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The answer denies the allegations in the petition (complaint). 
It would be advisable to have a paralegal help you write the answer and file it with the court. 
Another alternative is to go to the law library and look in the index of Pleading and Practice for answer to complaint. This will give you the format. Ask the law librarian to help you find it. Include the verification at the end of the answer. File it with the court along with a proof of service. Then mail a copy to your spouse with the proof of service. The proof of service (court form) verifies the date of mailing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption