What are the statutes of limitation on a DUI?

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the statutes of limitation on a DUI?

I recently got a misdemeanor DUI. I have a job offer in another state and am planning on moving there indefinitely. I understand my license will be suspended by the DMV for a period of time, however if I fail to appear and move to this other state will I be able to get a new license in that state once the suspension is served and how long will there be a warrant out for my arrest in the old state?

Asked on October 19, 2011 under Criminal Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have been arrested and charged with a driving under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance, there are no running statute of limitations as to you. The complaint has been filed. If you fail to appear in court at your next hearing or any other hearing, there will be a bench warrant for your arrest. A bench warrant for your arrest will have a negative effect upon your life. You could be arrested at any time as a result.

I suggest you retain a criminal defense attorney to assist you with your current situation. If you fail to appear and move out of state, most likely you will be unable to get a driver's license in that state since your name will appear through the computer system showing that there is a bench warrant issued against you. The bench warrant issued against you will remain for years upon years as being outstanding.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption