What are the rights of4 siblings who share ownership of a property?

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the rights of4 siblings who share ownership of a property?

The property is mortgage-free. The youngest sibling lives on the property and has turned the place into a “hoard” of trash and junk. The older siblings are worried about code enforcement problems/violations and the safety of the children living there. What are the rights of the other siblings? Can they force a clean-up? Can they legally go onto the property and demand to see the inside of the house? Can they threaten eviction if the youngest sibling is uncooperative? The only monetary obligation the youngest sibling has is the annual tax bill which he pays.

Asked on March 8, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unless there is a written partnership agreement that is signed by all four owners of the parcel that you are writing about, there really is not much the other three owners can do about evicting the one owner other than file a legal action for "waste" due to the property's neglect. Under the law, an owner of real property cannot be evicted from it by another owner unless there is a written agreement to the contrary.

With that being said, I recommend that you and your other siblings consult with a real estate attorney about the situation with the intent to draw up a written agreement as to all owners regarding duties and obligations concerning the subject property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption