What are the resources I can use to find the driver of a vehicle that left the scene after hitting my car?

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the resources I can use to find the driver of a vehicle that left the scene after hitting my car?

The accident was reported to the Dept. of Public Safety but nothing has been done to locate this other driver. I was able to give the officer a description of the other vehicle and a partial license number. I was not injured but my car received extensive damage. What can I do as a citizen to find this other vehicle and driver?

Asked on January 7, 2012 under Accident Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a partial driver's license plate of the car that struck your vehicle and fled the scene without stopping, you might consider consulting with a private investigator's office to see what information the limited information you have can provide.

If you have not placed your insurance carrier on notice about the incident (assuming you have auto insurance), you should do so. Your insurance carrier should have access to methods and means to possibly retrieve the registered owner of the car that struck yours.

Another option is to place an electronic ad for information of the car that struck your vehicle with the date, time, location of the incident and the general description of the vehicle and plate number.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption