What are the possibilitiesof my becoming a legal US resident if I have lived here for 16 years and my child was born here?

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the possibilitiesof my becoming a legal US resident if I have lived here for 16 years and my child was born here?

I am 19 years old I been in the US ever since I was about age 3. I now have a baby who is a US citizen. I have not committed any crimes or even been stopped or pulled over by a police officer. I have a clean record. As a single mom it’s been hard to find a job although I also graduated from high school.

Asked on January 19, 2012 under Immigration Law, Arizona


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were brought to the US unlawfully and no one had ever filed a petition on your behalf, it does not really matter that you have a US born child because under the current immigration laws, you are not able to legalize your status within the US.  You would have to go back to your home country to consular process but leaving the US will cause you to automatically trigger a 10 year bar to reentry, which can only be waived by a showing of extreme hardship to a US citizen spouse or child and this is very difficult in most cases.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption