What are the possibilities of my stepfather fixing his papers if was deported from the US for 10 years for a second degree felony?

UPDATED: Nov 20, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 20, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the possibilities of my stepfather fixing his papers if was deported from the US for 10 years for a second degree felony?

He was a legal resident of the US but was in prison for 1 year and was deported after being released from prison. He has a US citizen son (10 years old) and his father is a US citizen.

Asked on November 20, 2014 under Immigration Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Considering that your step-father has previously been deported because of a felony, his chances are not the greatest for resolving his immigration issues.  However, depending on all of the factors affecting your stepfather's case, there may be some applicable exceptions.  Your step-father needs to visit with an attorney that specializes in immigration law.  Do not go to just a general practitioner.  He needs someone that is going to be able to help him work any loopholes or exceptions in the system if he would like to resolve his status.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption