What are the penalties for drinking underage in public MD

UPDATED: Jul 8, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 8, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the penalties for drinking underage in public MD

Asked on July 8, 2015 under Criminal Law, Maryland


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

My research suggests that in MD, a violation of the state's minor in possession law is a civil not a criminal offense. The minor will face violator fines and other consequences, the latter will depend on the minor’s age.

If younger than 18, the case will be treated as a juvenile delinquency action. The court has wide discretion in dealing with these offenders, including imposing counseling, community service  and fines. It is possible to ask the court to seal these records. If the minor is between the ages of 18-21, they may be fined up to $500.

Additionally, a minor found in violation of this law is subject to a fine or suspension of driving privileges. A first offense violation can carry a suspension up to 6 months.

At this point, you might want to consult directly with an attorney in your area; they can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption