What to do about a possible charge of being a juvenile accomplice regarding theft?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a possible charge of being a juvenile accomplice regarding theft?

My 17 year old sister was contacted by the county Sheriff and notified she is an accomplice because she was driving other juveniles that unaware they stole a laptop and credit card. Should she contact a criminal law attorney? In Douglas County, CO.

Asked on September 15, 2011 under Criminal Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your sister definitely should consult with a criminal law attorney. She's facing a serious charge and it could impact her for years to come. In the meantime she is under no obligation to go the the sheriff's department or to even speak again with the sheriff (even if they come to your home). Bottom line, under no circumstances should she speak with the police without having an attorney. 

The fact is that no matter how innocent she may be, she could inadvertently say something incriminating about regarding this matter. If she speaks to them without having a lawyer to represent her interests, it is to the authorities' benefit. They can and will try to get her to implicate herself. So no matter how friendly and concerned they may appear or, conversely, no matter how intimidating and threatening they seem, she should not speak to them without legal counsel. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption